Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Credit Card Nation

I was swindled into signing up for my first credit card by a used car salesman trying to sell me a Saab which I didn't quite have enough money for. I would pay for the bulk of the card in cash, the remainder being put on "credit" card.


I didn't buy the Saab. After a close examination by a friend, turns out the object of my affection had a bad head gasket. But I did keep the credit card, max it out, fall behind in my payments, and learn a valuable lesson. Fortunately that was 10 years ago and has disapeared from the ominous credit report.

One of the definitions among many for credit is "a positive balance remaining in a person's account." (American Heritage Dictionary). The definition demands "real" money.

I wish credit cards weren't called "credit cards," which is so misleading. I wish they were called, "high interest loan card," which, although literal and not as catchy, not only nails the idea on the head, but would deter material hungry Americans from entering into a lifetime of servitude to big banks, high blood pressure, and dicontent.


1 comment:

amandarickman said...

anytime i've pulled out my plastic i've thought, "high interest loan card", *chuckle, chuckle, chuckle*

nice one ivan