Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"The Maker," by Daniel Lanois

The pantheistic/animistic statement, "everything is sacred" bugs a lot of people, namely monotheists, but in a sense, I kind of get it...in the sense that John Calvin stated, "all truth is God's truth."

People may not know, but I am a huge music buff. I don't tout it much so as to not come off as pseduo-hipster. While historically some songs were definitely considered more spiritual and others more fun, in my opinion the delineation between secular and sacred tunes is a more modern fundamentalist invention. Thus you won't find me boycotting either. I can chill out to Jonathan Foreman or Sigur Ros.

However, in the same sense that I get a shudder of excitement from observing a display of cultivated morality in an obscure and primitive culture, like the Mek Tribe, a morality that wholly mirrors a tenet of Christianity, the feeling is same when I see the same thing occur in the lyrical content of a "secular" artist who bridges the polarized chasm between Christian and non-Christian music.

One such artist is Daniel Lanois; legendary producer, songwriter, musician. While many of Lanois' compositions reverberate with biblical imagery and phraseology, none is more apparently spiritual than his masterpiece, "The Maker." Take some time to watch this video from 1989 that not only transcends ages with its timeless sound, but inspires and soothes--and this from outside of "sacred."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds do an amazing cover of this song on their latest project, recorded last year at Radio City Music Hall.

And I do mean amazing.

I'd never heard the song before hearing Dave do it, and I was speechless. Next to Gravedigger, it may be one of my favorite songs that Dave does.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Brian

nate said...

Hey I just checked that version out. It's great...dave mathews voice suits the song well...kind of gospel-ish. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

If you like Daniel, check out his new DVD entitled "Here is what is" it's a very cool insight into how approaches music sonically from a producer and artist standpoint.

Anonymous said...

If you like Daniel, check out his new DVD entitled "Here is what is" it's a very cool insight into how approaches music sonically from a producer and artist standpoint.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.