Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Monks of Moyross

RTÉ Television - The Late Late Show

Cultural relevance? That buzz-phrase was lost in the semantic popularity contest to social relevance, it seems. But no judgment from this obscure commentator one way or the other.

So is cultural relevance blinding lights, pop music, electronic beats, huge video screens, ash trays built into the pews? I don't think so. But the point isn't to offer judgment or praise on such things, but to suggest that cultural relevance, as pertaining to any religious system, and in particular, Christianity, has little to do with anything cosmetic.

The monks in the clip above have little to offer but compassion, Christ, love, finely tuned rhetoric, and some sweet freestyle rhymes.

P.S. I tried repeatedly to embed the clip, but my computer skills are worse than my social skills, so you'll just have to follow the link. It's worth it to see a burlap clad monk rap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good evening ppl. I'm really into shoes and I had been digging as far as something that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots were all over 240 pounds everwhere. But definitively I base this site selling them for half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what is your opinion?