Sunday, January 20, 2008

Greek Translations

So I originally said EVERY WEDNESDAY I was going to post some of my exegetical thoughts. That will now have to be amended to WHENEVER I CAN, due to the "on call" nature of my job, and due to the fact that I have four kids; in fact, the other day as I was getting the Greek text put into word five little one-and-a-half-year-old fingers crept up in front of mine and started plunking on the keyboard.

But I did get three verses done. I wish I had more, but the first three have so much theological meat in them, that's all I could get done (by the way, I am working on Hebrews now instead of James). Click this entire paragraph to check out my work.

As I was going through these verses the cool nuances lost in translation got me excited. As I realized how the author of the Book of Hebrews had so carefully chosen his/her (yes, some think it was a her) words to convey the mystery of the incarnation, while at the same time teaching theological truth after truth, I thought of the church today and those of us who are a part of it. It seems like our constant disagreement over the interpreted truths of scripture has led us to say that Theology really doesn't matter...just that we inoffensively get along and love Jesus together. But that's a load of crap, and I think the author would be offended by that statement. The root of that which divides us (scripture and all its ambiguity) is that which makes a dividable unit.

Anyway, check out Hebrews 1:1-3 and email any comments. If you a disagree with me, let me hear it...I think I will still be able to get along with you and love Jesus together with you either way!

No comments: